Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Laser hair removal

Basic facts

Some consumers have experienced permanent hair reduction, but there is limited data on how long hair reduction usually lasts, how much hair reduction is typical, and how often permanent hair reduction occurs.

Description

Light at a specified wavelength is delivered from a handpiece into the skin, where it targets dark material (usually the pigment in hair).

This is intended to cause thermal and/or mechanical damage to a hair follicle while sparing surrounding tissues.

Advantages

-Some consumers have experienced long-lasting hair removal or permanent hair reduction.
-Considered safe if performed properly.
-Useful for large areas such as backs or legs.
-Regrowth can come back lighter in color or finer in texture.
-Light-skinned consumers with dark hair have the best results.

Disadvantages


-Long-term data on safety and effectiveness have not been accurately established.
-Response rates have not been established.
-Regrowth rates have not been accurately established and cannot be predicted due to numerous variables.
-Generally not as effective on unpigmented (gray) hairs and red or blonde hair.
-Must be used very cautiously (if at all) on darker skin tones or on consumers who tan themselves.
-Improper treatment can cause burns, lesions, skin discoloration lasting several months, or patchy/patterned regrowth.
-Recent data suggest other skin structures are often affected by laser irradiation, and long term effects of this constitute an unknown risk.
-Requires eye protection.
-Can be expensive.
-Some find treatment painful.
-Regulation varies by state, so inadequate controls exist to ensure competent practitioners.
-Some consumers, even ideal candidates, do not respond to treatment.

(laser hair removal article by harifacts)

Lorette
http://www.make-up-tip.com

1 Comments:

At 1:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started shaving at first but that was a nuisance and ingrown hairs were common. Girls, I don’t envy you at all!

I started on the “metrosexual path” so to speak and began going to this spa, I don’t know, maybe two years ago, for facials. They did hair removal too and I inquired about it.

I booked eight sessions, every two weeks. The first few times with it being so thick I had to shave beforehand and maybe the first three treatments were really bad. The nipping of the laser I got used to but the hair would grow back like normal in a few days. But I stuck with it on the advice of my “laser lady,” who is a gem.

As the sessions went by my hair growth thinned out and what was there was weaker. I didn’t have as many ingrown hairs and the hair would routinely just fall out when I showered. A good sign! By the eighth and final treatment it was more touch-up work than anything else.

Now I label the whole experience an astounding success. I still get some hair and I may need to go back in a few months but it’s nothing like it was.

A resounding YES! to anyone who is considering this, especially the men out there!
Was this review helpful?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home